Over the years professionals working in the field of Domestic Violence have been able to identify common character traits of batterers. A checklist of these traits can help the abused to determine whether they are at risk. Why is domestic violence the subject of a post on this site? Because William Cassidy exhibits many of these character traits, and should be viewed with the same extreme caution as one would of a known abuser. We used the following references for this post:
Person has a history of reacting to problems with violence.
- William Cassidy has a very long rap sheet that includes first degree arson and battery. See: http://protectingnyingma.wordpress.com/2009/08/20/inmate-1018572-nevada-department-of-corrections-or-what-to-avoid-when-choosing-a-spiritual-friend/. This is a man who was convicted and served time in prison for assault on his wife. Here is an excerpt from the Las Vegas Review Journal, DATE, about Cassidy’s case:
“A former aide to Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman was indicted Wednesday on sex assault, arson, stalking and kidnapping charges.
The indictment was unsealed Wednesday against William L. Cassidy, who resigned from his mayoral aide position in 2001 following an arrest on a domestic violence charge.
Cassidy was charged with raping his wife, Xiao Ping, on Feb. 19.
Within two days of that attack, authorities say, the woman’s business was the scene of a fire that caused about $100,000 damage. Authorities subsequently named Cassidy a suspect in the blaze at Silk Road Accu Pressure/Pan Pacific Management Inc.
In addition, the indictment charges Cassidy with stalking and beating his wife. A domestic violence charge lodged against Cassidy is listed as a third offense in court documents.
“There has been an escalating level of violence for several years,” Clark County prosecutor Conrad Claus said.
In asking District Judge Gene Porter to set bail at $500,000, Claus said Cassidy has claimed to have connections to the Central Intelligence Agency. Claus labeled Cassidy a potential flight risk, saying he has multiple international connections.
“He’s been talking about ending his own life,” Klaus said, adding that “we may have (further) injury or death to the victim” if Cassidy was released.” Read Full Article
Unfortunately, this propensity for abuse began when he was young. The following is from a letter we received from a concerned reader who knew Cassidy personally:
In addition to being unabashedly deceitful for self-gain and also just for amusement, Bill was also very vindictive and violent. Typically, however, he vented his aggressions only upon those who were decidedly weaker than he — particularly females. It became clear to me after only a short time that Bill actually hated women. Many of Bill’s “girlfriends” got beat up by him. This tendency reached critical mass in May of 1966. One of the directors at the community theatre had made arrangements for Bill to work in a “summer stock” production in a semi-professional theatre in Flatrock, NC. Bill was extremely excited about this. However, when the time came for Bill to leave for North Carolina, his mother had changed her mind about the whole thing and told him he couldn’t go. She knew that he would go anyway, if he had the means, so she had hidden the bus ticket. Bill was so furious at this that after his mother had refused numerous times to tell him where the ticket was, he began beating her with his fists and finally struck her on the side of her neck, knocking her unconscious. I was an eye witness to this entire scene and I was horrified. I thought that he had killed her and I was literally petrified, unable to speak or move. While she was still laying motionless on the floor, Bill was furiously ransacking the house, searching for the bus ticket. After about fifteen minutes Mrs. Cassidy regained consciousness and Bill immediately began insisting again that she tell him where she had hidden the ticket. Still on the floor, she conceded and told him where it was.
See the full letter here.
Trait #2. The person has been involved in a series of previous battering relationships:
Much of the evidence presented under the previous heading applies to this trait as well. A quick persual of his rap sheet shows multiple convictions and a pattern of violence. [put the additional quote from the http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2003/Apr-24-Thu-2003/news/21177468.html here]. There are also additional examples of girlfriends that suffered his abuse from the anonymous letter:
- Genny finally got tired of getting beat up by Bill and left him.
- During the few months that I lived in that apartment with Bill and Shari (and Sandy), I witnessed numerous acts of physical violence and almost constant verbal abuse. I asked Shari many times why she didn’t just leave him and on one occasion she confided that she was afraid he would kill her if she tried to leave him…..Bill continued to abuse Shari and finally she was hospitalized. She was subsequently Baker-acted and institutionalized whereupon Bill moved back to California
Trait #3. The person has problems with alcohol and/or drug abuse.
- Also from the anonymous letter, we learn that: Bill was already an alcoholic by age fourteen, drinking about 1/2 a bottle of either Jim Beam or Jack Daniel’s every day. A day after accusing Jetsunma Akhon Lhamo, a female Vajrayana master, of being an alcoholic, Cassidy goes on to attack Alcoholics Anonymous. http://tibetanaltar.blogspot.com/2009/08/alcohol-metaphor-ayurveda-and-yet.html
Trait #4. The person has a low or contemptuous attitude towards women in general.
From the examples violence towards his wives, his girlfriends, and even his mother, it is clear that he does not respect women.
Trait #5. The person seems emotionally out of control or extreme.
- On August 21st Cassidy lashed out in a rage online against Jetsunma Ahkon Lhamo, the object of his current obsession. He rants about her life, offering no substantiating evidence for any of his accusations. In his tirade he attempts to demean every accomplishment she has achieved. Perhaps embarrassed by the public display of his rage, he has subsequently removed this entry from his blog. However it may be seen in a cached version of the blog here: http://220.127.116.11/search?q=cache:0h1e7LfLntsJ:tibetanaltar.blogspot.com/2009/08/lineage-of schemes.html+lineage+of+schemes+digital+tibetan+altar&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari
- In a post dated August 17th, Cassidy accuses her of being everything from mentally ill to plotting against him, and calling her well known spiritual community a cult: http://18.104.22.168/search?q=cache:Q-FuoHRrV2AJ:tibetanaltar.blogspot.com/2009/08/taking-some-time-off.html+out+of+poolesville+digital+tibetan+altar&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari.
- On August 8th he once again attacks her credibility as a Spiritual Teacher and accuses her organization of being nothing more than a cult: http://22.214.171.124/search?q=cache:wTaQX6UP3WcJ:tibetanaltar.blogspot.com/2009/08/following-spiritual-master.html+following+a+spiritual+master+digital+tibetan+altar&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari
Trait #6. The person has a “dual personality”
From http://www.bwri.com/danger3.htm: “A potential batterer may seem like two entirely different people, sometimes kind and loving, at other times harsh, critical, sarcastic and abusive. The biggest danger signal to look for here is when these moods appear. A batterer will often present a charming and affable face to the world and turn into a devil at home. If the person seems able to control his or her “duality” and use it to advantage, he or she is almost certainly a batterer.”
After his offensive post on August 22, he made a post of apology the next day. http://tibetanaltar.blogspot.com/2009/08/anybody-can-ride-tame-ones.html As he says in the post, “Sometimes those big brutes will buck around and knock you silly, so it takes a while to shake the cobwebs out and stop seeing stars.” Apparently he felt the need to delete all his ranting posts from his blog, but they are still visible in cache.
In his post on August 23, http://tibetanaltar.blogspot.com/2009/08/one-thing-leads-to-another.html he attempts to distract from all the ranting by appearing to be an honest, upright Dharma practitioner doing very beneficial things. He still cannot resist the veiled threats however: ” You know, they say that if — for whatever reason — a person takes even the smallest, blindest, most hesitant step in the direction of obstructing such activity, the eventual result will be like hitting a tree at 100mph.”
Trait #7. The person is unreasonably jealous.
This is another post that was deleted, but an obvious attempt to make the object of his obsession jealous. He refers to Jetsunma as “Pearl.”
Trait #7. The person has weapons and is obsessed with them.
Cassidy is an author of several books on knives, knife fighting and how to kill with knives. http://protectingnyingma.wordpress.com/books/